HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Pingback: Good or Bad?

ameer
admin stator
admin stator

View user profile http://4cool.4ulike.com 
Post Pingback: Good or Bad?   Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:39 pm

Pingback: Good or Bad?

I am broaching the topic of pingback practices because I received my first legitimate one today. (Legitimate meaning that I did not receive the pingback from me referring to a previous post in a current post, on my own blog.) Due to my curiosity on this foreign word to me, I did some research.

Before I proceed any further, let us take a quick peek at what Wikipedia defines "pingback" as -

"A pingback is one for the three types of link backs, methods for Web authors to request notification when somebody links to one of their documents. This enables authors to keep track of who is linking to, or referring to their articles...." Source: En.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pingback

When I started on my quest of whether pingback was a good or bad 'thing', I came up with mixed reviews. The first place I checked was the Word Press forum and someone had already asked the question "What do I do with a Pingback?" A few people chimed in, but the consensus was that it was wrong, bad, and even spam. That puzzled me, because I saw pingback as a way to see where my content ended up, once it was submitted to the World Wide Web. It is like having a tracking cookie on your content. That is what I saw it as, anyway. However, after reading the answers on the forum, I began second-guessing my initial hypothesis, which was pingback was wrong and immoral, for that matter.

Because of my confusion on the subject, I decided to venture out and see what others were saying about the subject.

Side Note: I 'Googled' and if you have read previous posts/articles by me than you know that I raise my hand to have that word as an addition to Webster's Dictionary. Let me add that Wikipedia out ranked any dictionary site when searching for the definition. I am AMAZED by the amount of information that is on that website. I wish I was there on the ground level when they astonished us by their 'royalty', for lack of a better term.

Back to the subject on-hand, yes, ping back could be consider obtrusive and 'spammy', but I think one need take into consideration where the pingback is coming from. If it is from a reputable site than "heck ya, link to me all you want!" On the other hand, if it is not a site that you want to be associated with*, then I make the suggestion to not allow the pingback comment on your blog. Heck! You content is back linked, anyway; it is likely that this pingback is stemming from an article that you posted on a free article website.

Now, I am going to move onto a Word Press Plugin that I came across, called 'Pingback Optimizer' that shows you how ping back is a positive thing. I am not too tech savvy, yet, anyway; but go to the website and they can explain the plugin much better than I ever could.

Do not fret; this is not a sales pitch. I wrote this article because it was a question that I wanted answers to and I thought maybe there was someone out there that I could help, if they were as confused as I was.

*"Did you know that most people earn within 20% of the average income of their closest friends? That's why you'd better watch whom you associate with and choose whom you spend your time with carefully." - Secrets of a Millionaire Mind, T. Harv Eker

Page 1 of 1
َ

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
َ